Friday, October 2, 2009

I Forgot How Much I Love This Place

There’s not much going on in Beijing at 6:00 am, but I made do. I decided I would return to my old stomping grounds from last year and pay my respects. Er Li Zhuang, it’s called, and it hasn’t changed a bit. I decided against showing up at my host family’s house and surprising them since I don’t know if they would recognize me and might possibly call the authorities. Instead, I headed for the train station, Beijing West, in search of a ticket to Tibet.

It’s amazing how there appear to be more buses on the streets in Beijing than people, yet for some reason no matter where you want to go, it takes at least a mile of walking to get there after riding 13 different buses. I finally made it to the train station though and asked about 45 people where I could get a Tibet Travelers Permit; not a single one had any idea what I was talking about.

This is where being 100% fluent in a language proves a lot more useful than being 50%. I decided the train station was not the place I needed to be and instead headed for the hotel where I could use my broken Chinese to converse with their broken English.

Apparently the Chinese really don’t mess around when it comes to holidays. Communist China’s 60th anniversary isn’t October 1st, but rather October 1 – 10. Convenient. Now, this might seem pretty cool for the 30 million people or so living in Beijing, but it’s really rough for me considering not a single travel agency is open between now and the day I leave for New Zealand. Luckily, desperate businessmen do exist in Beijing.

I got in contact with one travel agency by calling the guys cell phone. He gave me the run down that China doesn’t allow any foreigners to visit Tibet without a tour guide and a traveler’s permit. However, traveler’s permits usually take up to 10 days to get, leaving me basically out of luck. He said he would see what he could do but I have a really strong feeling it isn’t much. 

In order to get my taste of Chinese history for the day, I decided it was my time to be enlightened by the Temple of Heaven. Now, let me explain something about Chinese architecture and how unique it is. The first couple important places are amazing. For example, when I first saw the Summer Palace and Tian’anmen, I was in awe. But after a while, it seems like every important ancient building starts to look the exact same. I don’t mean to downplay these places because they are all quite amazing and the history is pretty awesome, but at the same time, it seems like the only thing that catches my attention anymore is the historical aspect of it all.

The name “Temple of Heaven” sets a standard that really makes it difficult for the place to exceed or even meet expectations. It was beautiful no doubt, very relaxing because it was almost entirely covered in gardens and trees. Apparently it used to be the Emperor’s religious center. Now it’s just filled with old Chinese people dancing and doing tai chi—go figure. I guess that’s what happens when Communism virtually wiped all religions off the map in the past 60 years.

Now I’m sitting here, all alone, peering out over the skyline of Beijing wishing I could be riding on a train to Tibet. If anyone has any connections in the government out here, please try and help me out. But whatever you do, don’t tell them you found out I needed help when you read my illegal blog!

Thanks, rather Xie Xie.

Stay Classy Everyone!

Michael

Picture #1 - Beijing's West Train Station
#2 - Temple of Heaven
#3 - Temple of Heaven Garden










1 comment:

  1. thank you for all the information... I feel like I am with except when you say you are alone then it reminds me that you are there and I am here! I miss you already, but to tell you the truth the house is clean! for three months! hahaha I love you and you know how hard it is for me to be classy!!!!! be good my son. love you mom

    ReplyDelete