Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Break the Monotony

At the end of this blog post I will indulge each and every one of you with a compilation of funny, sometimes hilarious, pictures I have taken since I've been in this wonderful country. However, first thing's first.

Since I have been here for about 7 days total and every day I have been challenged to come up with something entertaining or travel somewhere cool I have decided to turn the tables. 

Here it is: 
I CHALLENGE EVERY ONE OF YOU WHO READS THIS TO EMBARK ON AN INTELLECTUAL JOURNEY, BE IT GOOGLE, WIKIPEDIA, ETC, IN SEARCH OF SOMETHING OR SOMEWHERE UNIQUE YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO VISIT FOR YOU IN OR AROUND BEIJING. ANYTHING ON MY LIST THAT IS REASONABLE WILL BE VISITED, PHOTOGRAPHED AND WRITTEN ABOUT IN THE FOLLOWING BLOG. 

Fine Print: Things like the Great Wall and Tiananmen Square are not considered unique. I'm thinking about things like the strangest food you can find in Beijing and then challenge me to try it. I dare you.

Hopefully this post comes back with some refreshingly new ideas. Get to work.

Now, here is your indulgence.

Pictures:
1. On a sacred Buddhist temple in the Summer Palace, Peggy explains how much she loves New York. I understand most Americans aren't the brightest, but Peggy proves that the dumbest come from NY.
2. There she is again. Peace be with you. And also with you.
3. One of my favorites. Look at the sincerity, she's not half-assing that one.
4. The beautiful lake, and then of course, she pops up again.
5. I'm not sure if this picture is sad or funny. It's sad because the little monkey is eating paper. It's funny because, well, the little monkey is eating paper. PETA, please don't sue me, it's the Beijing Zoo.
6. This I know is funny. That little kid wouldn't stop hitting the glass and then all of a sudden, this brilliant monkey shared how he felt about the kid.
7. People feeding the zebras. That sign is just a mistranslation, it really says, in Chinese, "Feed These Animals Because We Aren't"
8. They teach the peace sign very young here in China.
9. That sign really says, "Parents, don't let your kids climb on these statues, instead you should pick them up and put them on the statues."
 



















6 comments:

  1. I am totally in love with this idea, Michael! I think I want you to go to the opera. Sometimes it's referred to as Peking Opera or Beijing Opera - either way, it's a traditional Chinese opera form dating back to the late 18th century and it looks really interesting. Get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that I really remember (and your Mom, too) from that trip is going to the "restroom" in the holes in the ground and praying you didn't fall in (complete with pig next door--their janitor, of sorts). Go find one... I think they are in the country somewhere along the way to the Great Wall. Since I realize these may be gone by now, and hopefully, they have respectable toilets, go eat a bug or something for me. Ick! Love you,
    Kimberlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you Shelly has been giving Dad your blogs to read. You know our father…he is not so good on the computer, has piles everywhere and looses most everything.

    On a brighter note…how is “beautiful” China. Usually I tell people that I am jealous when they are on vacation but … not in this case.

    Oh and can you visit Guilin? Here is the discription for it.
    Located by the banks of the Li River, Guilin has gained fame both at home and abroad for its featuring scenery: verdant mountians, unique rockeries, crystal water, various caves, stones of numerous shapes. The many ethnic minorities live here that include the Zhuang, Yao, Hui, Miao, Mulao, Maonan and Dong. They add the much colour to the cultural life of the city.
    Top attractions in Guilin:
    The Li River, The Reed Flute Cave, Elephant Trunk Hill, Seven Star Park, Guilin Folded Brocade Hil, Fubo Hill, Solitary Beauty Hill, Longji Terraced Field in Longsheng, Fengyu Cave in Lipu County Guilin.

    Love you
    Nat Nat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually Michael when I was there we were not allowed to go into the hospitals so I am still curious to see why???? Maybe they will let you in now, I doubt they will let you take pictures though... Find a hospital and see what they look like inside... Is there real doctors there? nurses? hospital beds? patients? animals???? hmmm thank you and I love you so mcuh mommy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok so I made things really easy and typed obscure things to do in China. I found a link that lists ten different museums in Beijing, supposedly ones that not too many tourists go to. The two that I thought were knid of interesting are the Beijing museum of tap water (it basically goes over the evolution of the Chinese water system) and the bee museum (all about bees).

    Since I found this info online and have not actually seen these museums I take no responsibility if they prove to be below par as far as entertainment goes. But, I do hope that you find them somewhat amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Uncle Michael,
    How about finding a chinese community helper? Cayman's IB unit at school is on community helpers (fire fighters, grocers, etc) and now her teacher wants them to explore community helpers around the world. We already brought stuff in from our trip to Italy. We had a photo of a Swiss Army Guard in front of St. Peter's and a Gondilier (sp?) in Venice. What can you find for China's version of a community helper? If you send a picture, it will be up on the wall in Cayman's class room. We miss you! Stay safe and have fun!!!
    Love,
    Lotte (and Cayman and Anderson too)

    ReplyDelete