Monday, February 28, 2011

Dining Madness

As a tribute to my dedicated readers, all 5 of them, I have decided a better way to get more information across to everyone would be to write shorter stories on my blog but much more frequently. The last two were quite long so this will be my attempt at shortening my blogs. 

I couldn't decide whether to call this blog post Dining Madness or Operation Empty Stomach as a reference to a war zone. I experienced something today that can honestly not be explained in words nor completely illustrated with video or pictures but here I will try to do my best. 

Beijing University, as one student told me, is the best University in China and therefore we must have the best dining halls in China as well. This might be true. With close to 20 dining calls feeding more than 40,000 students, there is an unrivaled variety to choose from when eating breakfast, lunch, or dinner. With that said, the math just doesn't add up--as I learned today. 

Let us break this down. With over 40,000 students living on or around campus and arguably 90% of them eating in university dining halls, the university must feed 36,000 students every day. Meaning, at any given meal time there are an average of 1,800 students at each dining hall trying to get their fill. Furthermore, the class schedules at Beida leave the time period from noon to 1 pm open for every student and professor. During this one hour period, it literally becomes a war zone at any given dining hall with lines longer than football fields and empty chairs becoming a commodity as students earn their pay saving seats and selling them on the black market. 

As I walked out of my last class of the day exactly at noon, my friends and I decided to try out the largest dining hall on campus. Two stories tall and seating at least 3,000 students at any given time, it was not the best idea I've had since being on this trip. When we entered the dining hall it was utter chaos. People shoving, eating, falling, screaming, cursing, and studying--all while trying to get in a line that may or may not have what you desire to eat. I chose what turned out to be the shortest line and it took me only 15 minutes to get my food. I thought the worst part was over. Then I remembered I, like most people, enjoy eating with friends while sitting down. Both of which are considered normal in America are more likely to be compared to luxuries such as driving a Ferrari or eating dinner at Ruth's Chris. After walking around for more than 20 minutes, I finally figured out the system. As soon as you see someone finishing their food, you have to stand right behind them until they get up and pounce on the chair like a cat on a mouse. I found a chair, albeit at a table with 5 people I had never seen in my life. 

Eating wasn't bad until I got close to finishing my plates. Then I realized enjoying a meal is also not something that is allowed. As a courtesy, every student is expected to eat their entire plate as fast as possible to allow the person or people standing directly over your shoulder to indulge in their meals as well. 

As I walked out of the dining hall I was relieved to have finished that experience unscathed and having learned some valuable lessons. I can only hope for the future to find some way of participating in mealtime in a way that doesn't include the possibility of death. 

Bye for Now,

Michael





1 comment:

  1. michael i miss you...even more when i look at your little little sister and see you! she is so you and i know that you are proud of her...thank you for being my son...mom

    ReplyDelete