Thursday, July 1, 2010

It's the Pollution...

I'm sorry. Let it be done. It's been more than a month since my last blog posting and I realize that is an extremely long time for me to have absolutely nothing interesting to write about. I can only attribute this to one thing, the pollution. If you woke up every day and looked out your window and couldn't see more than a kilometer away from your 15th story apartment, you'd want to fall back to sleep and avoid thinking and writing as much as possible too. Almost like if you're living in Seattle! I'm about to summarize a month of living in Beijing in something you should be able to read in less than five minutes.

Beijing is mediocre. Sometimes I feel like life in Beijing is so unpredictable; one third of the time life is great, one third of the time life kind of sucks, and one third of the time it's in the middle. Right now I'd say I've reached a trough. I hope this wave will hold out for another 6 weeks. 

Since the last time we spoke, I have been to Xi'An (西安), Tokyo(东京), and of course all over Beijing (北京). I'll start with Xi'An. The place is probably best known for the Terra Cotta Warriors (Wikipedia them), and for good reason. The fact that one man ordered the building of thousands of life-sized clay warriors to be buried with him and that order was carried out is astonishing. Unfortunately for us, the warriors happened to be the only interesting site in the whole city. We saw several other places that would be considered "interesting" if it was your first time in China, but the fact that every important building ever built in the thousands of years of history of China looks the exact same really puts a damper on things that have a real potential for attracting people. Probably the second most entertaining thing we did was bike ride on top of the wall that surrounds Xi'An city. We were able to do it in under 4 minutes and we saw much of the modern city while enjoying the fact that everyone kept laughing as we passed by: did I mention we were riding a tandem bike with no shirt on? Other than the fact it was 95 degrees outside and humidity was that of a small bathroom with no fan after a long hot shower, it wasn't the most pleasant experience. Quick side note, I can't go without mentioning that Xi'An is flooded with pick-pocketers, all potential visitors beware.  

After what felt like the longest semester of my life, we were given a five day break in between the start of the next semester of classes. Naturally, I, along with two friends, decided to spend that time in Asia's most interesting Capital, Tokyo. Now before I went to this delightful place, I knew absolutely nothing about it. When I think of Japan I think of two things, sushi and World War II. While both extremely important in the country of Japan, they would be two of the least impressive aspects of Japanese modern culture. Our outlook out of the gate wasn't very positive, it turns out the weathermen all over the world are equally wrong, they forecasted thunderstorms every day we were there and it only rained the night we got there and the morning we left. While most of these days blended together I can tell you about the most interesting experiences we had and even post pictures below. I'll make the summary short: Bring your best walking shoes. Stay away from Shibuya at night, turns out it's the red light district. If you're a college student, never use a taxi, subways only. Choose a hostel that keeps its doors open 24 hours a day; I say this because ours was closed from 2 am to 4:30 am, this creates a huge problem, 2 am is way too early and 4:30 am is way too late to be coming home from Tokyo's nightlife. NEVER eat raw horse meat. Pull an all nighter in Raponggyi and then at 4 am catch a taxi to the fish market to see the most fascinating tuna auction on earth. Tokyo spas (onsen as they call them) are for naked people only. The only people that speak English are the Nigerians on the street who try and trick you into entering their bosses brothel. Massage in Japanese means sex. Don't trust travel guide books, talk to the locals. Every attractive girl you see walking with a man over 50 is for hire. If a girl who is way too attractive for you starts dancing with you in a club, she's trying to increase her client base. Unless you are willing to pay thousands of US dollars at a hostess bar, stay away, the rest are just brothels. Finally, don't let friends with weak stomachs eat sea urchin sushi for breakfast at 5 am. 

For the most part, Tokyo was a lot of fun, it was really hard to be in a country where we couldn't communicate with anyone other than thank you and hello and goodbye. I was able to eat sushi just about every day which was pretty much heaven on earth. The best sushi, by far, was the sushi that you eat for breakfast right after the tuna auction. It's relatively cheap and absolutely delicious. Sushi for breakfast is a little strange, but if you can get over that idea, you should definitely try it out. 

As for studying in Beijing, it's not changing much. A typical weekday consists of me waking up around 7 am, studying in the lobby or cafe for an hour to prepare for my daily quiz where I have to memorize about 50 new characters, class from 9 to 12, lunch at the Japanese restaurant in the basement from 12-1, speaking with a Chinese partner from 1-1:30. Then homework until dinner time. During the weekends, we go dancing sometimes and we go watch world cup games sometimes but most of the time is filled with homework. I think my Chinese is improving but it's hard to tell. I'm able to hold conversations without stopping and asking for an explanation too many times, classes are entirely in Chinese, we aren't allowed to speak english, and I love arguing with taxi drivers about why Mao Ze Dong was not the god they think he was. It's a genuine blast.  

I guess there isn't much more to say today, life has pretty much entered a rhythm, unfortunately I hate rhythms. I am looking forward to New Zealand with my wonderful mother and getting back to SC after that. 

I have been called many things in my life, but one thing I will most certainly never be called is a "Consistent Blogger." For this I must apologize. Thank you for reading, enjoy the pictures below!

Michael

Pictures!
Click on them to enlarge if you want. 

I'd like you to meet my teacher, AKA Mao Ze Dong's younger brother. 

Me on the Great Wall at BaDaLing. I jumped over the wall that said "Do Not Go Beyond This Point". It was worth it.  

A fraction of the clay soldiers that were made for this Emperor.

Me giving a talk to Singapore students in Chinese... Well, it was more like half Chinese, half English. 

Riding tandem on the Xi'An wall. 

Dad's Visit to Beijing

My name in Tradition Characters. Simplified looks like this: 吴小龙

Can someone tell me what this flower is? Saw it in Japan, it's beautiful. 

Some Japanese people are very big fans of ours... I guess that doesn't need an explanation. 

Tokyo from a viewing Tower.

Red Bull Girls in Tokyo that speak no English!

What is more strange in this picture, the guys dressed as Greasers dancing at the entrance to Yoyogi Park or the French dude crouching dressed as a Nun?

They do this every Sunday. Yoyogi Park is a must see in Tokyo, strangest place I've been. We actually danced Salsa with several of the people who were just playing music and dancing in the middle of the park. 

Skyline in the day from Tokyo Tower. 

Skyline in Evening from Tokyo Tower.

Tokyo Tower from the base. 

The biggest Tuna I've ever seen. That one in front of that guy is at least his length without a tail and weighs twice as much. 

4 comments:

  1. Michael, thanks for the post...i miss you more now, you are learning so much and one day when you have children, you will be able to teach them all that you have learned from travelling. great teacher this travelling isn't it. i love you and bungy jumping was not in our deal! No Way...love you have a great day my son..mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That flower is (I think!) a hydrangea. Miss you Michael! Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother.
    I enjoy reading your blogs more than you know. Thank you. You should send me an e-mail more about Japan, since I will be there shortly. I didn't like your Seattle post, there were never days when I woke up and did not want to get out of bed. Well, maybe there were one or two. Lol, but our air up there is so clean... :) When it is sunny we can see forever.

    I miss you a lot. Come home soon, okay?

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a tad late in reading this, but even more comical is that you grew up in a house surrounded by those flowers! Hydrangeas line Dads front yard. They are gorgeous. Pay better attention whilst in China... We would like you to come home to see those hydrangeas;) Xo, Kimberlee

    ReplyDelete