Tuesday, September 29, 2009

欢迎朋友们

"Don't get H1N1!" "Stay away from the dog meat." "Take a lot of pictures." "Don't forget to update your blog!" "Eat as much American food as possible." Most importantly, courtesy of my brother-in-law: "If you see a bunch of people running in one direction, run the other way."

I leave tonight with all these wonderful words of wisdom taken to heart. The importance of these little suggestions shouldn't be taken too lightly, I know. But it's not necessarily the opinions or the thoughts that are important to me; it's the fact that many of you aren't just saying these things in jest or because they are expected, but because you actually care! 

I know, half of you fell out of your seats in hysteria right now, but let's be honest, for the 1/1,000% of you that might actually care what I'll be learning about myself and the world in these next three months--I appreciate it. It motivates me. I guess you could equate it to a lone farmer in the highlands of Africa waking up on a dewy spring morning to find his hen, Loretta, with a record breaking 15 eggs beneath her supple bottom. 

You get the point.

Maybe you don't; either way it doesn't really matter. I set out for the Middle Kingdom at the wee hour of 0140 from LAX to arrive in the capital of the wonderful communist capital of Beijing--Peking for you stubborn folk. Weather will be mild, people will be plentiful. Air will be clean.....er than before the olympics at least. And most importantly, there will be a lot of Chinese language being thrown around. 

Keep track of these updates, I promise they will get more exciting. I have a lot of life-threatening things lined up for your pleasure. I figure it this way, if one of us has to go in order for everyone else to experience some amazing things, I should be the one to do it. Whatever you do, don't mention that little detail to my wonderful mother!

Good night and good luck,

Michael Wurth signing off.

4 comments:

  1. Hey little brother have a really great and safe trip. It was good to see you yesterday. I look forward to reading about your time in good old China. It is funny when we went there over 20 years ago with dad I swore I would never go back. Here you are wanting to go and travel there. I am sure it is a different place...have some good old Peking Duck for me and enjoy the hard boiled eggs. Love you much Nat Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael,,your now gone and Im sure your so excited to arrive. I hope you have a wonderful time! I will be keeping up with your blog and can't wait to look at your pictures. Be safe Michael! After reading that last sentence I got a little worried, but your an intelligent young man and I know and hope you won't do anything unsafe.

    Takecare,

    -Britnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo, Bro:

    Glad you arrived safely. If you acquired swine flu from the airplane, expect a temp of 101* or higher, sore throat with cough and possibly trouble breathing. Let me know if any of this happens, and I'll promise to pray for you.

    You *must* score a face mask and take a pic of you wearing it for me! You'll be sure to fit in!

    Love you!
    Kimmie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son, did you think I wouldn't read any of this???? Well here it is in a small nutshell...You are my first born and I consider you my teacher on parenting for a year, but I do have John so go have fun and remember my back up is very special too! So I will pray for your safety, and not worry becasue I know God is holding your hand and heart! I love you mom

    ReplyDelete